The Analects by Confucius (论语)
Learn about one of the most widely-read books in China for the last 2,000 years, and its lessons on how to lead a good life.
- Hello, hello? Discover the most memorable phrases of the Analects, via a broken telephone! 己欲立而立人... huh?
- Travel back in time and have fun re-enacting the scribing of dialogues (语录体) that made up the Analects, part of an ancient literary format.
- A mini forum theater, where children relate Analect’s ancient moral lessons to their modern lives, with a healthy mix of comedy and reflection.
- Can you recognise Confucius on the streets? Let’s draw what we think he looks like. Then, we’ll compare.
- Now, draw what China looked like during his time, by listening to a soundscape (of fighting, galloping horses, cries and groans). Realise this was the world Confucius grew up in, and what he was trying to change through teaching about kindness and respect.
- Bring out the Four Treasures of the study (文房四宝).
- Via a hybrid calligraphy and story-telling exercise, introduce children to the pictograms and meanings of 仁, 义, 礼, 智, 信, and the notion of 君子 (Gentleman).
- Learn about benevolence (仁) through the tale of when the horses’ stables caught fire: 《论语正义·乡党》：“厩焚。子退朝，曰：‘伤人乎？’不问马。”
- Introduce children to Mencius (孟子), Confucius’ famous disciple, and use props to tell the story of his memorable quote about 义, a fish and a bear paw.
- Learn about decorum (礼) through a simulation of a dinner table scene with the children’s own snacks.
- Discover the meaning of wisdom (智), via a MCQ test with a twist.
- Help a blindfolded friend through an obstacle course, and learn the importance of trustworthiness (信).
- Understand the difference between a 君子 and a 小人 (a small-minded person), via a giant Venn diagram on the floor, and understand the take-home lesson of the Analects: “修身、齐家、治国、平天下”!
Important to note:
* Due to limited slots, bookings are non-refundable.
* This is a drop-off programme. Pls drop off and pick up your child after the workshop.
* Do note that by attending this workshop, your child will not understand the Analects in its entirety. What we aim to do instead is to plant the seeds.
* Photos of the classes may be taken and used for publicity purposes.
* Curriculum is subject to minor changes.