Battle of Red Cliffs (赤壁之战)
Learn about 慧 (wisdom) through 2 memorable chapters from the 14th-century historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms - "Borrowing Arrows with Thatched Boats" (草船借箭) and "Battle of the Red Cliffs" (赤壁之战).
- Time travel through co-composing a battlefield soundscape.
- Introduction to the central characters of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
- Collective problem-solving via role-playing with original props of the chapter "Borrowing Arrows with Thatched Boats" (草船借箭), in which military strategist Zhuge Liang managed to obtain 100,000 arrows from the enemy without a fight. This exercise will be child-led, with the exploration of different possibilities before revealing what Zhuge Liang did historically.
- Dramatic re-telling of the chapter The Bitter Trick, the risky act of deception by the selfless veteran general Huang Gai, that paved the way for an unlikely yet overwhelming victory eventually at the Battle of Red Cliff.
- Re-living of the famous Battle of Red Cliff, via a giant game of Chinese Chess, with chess pieces as large as pizzas!
- Children will discuss offensive and defensive strategies. Complexity will be layered, with the use of a minimal number of chess pieces before the addition of more. Children will learn the importance of foresight, patience, adaptation (顺应时势), understanding your opponent (见招拆招), and commitment (起手不回).
- Facilitated discussion of how in life, we succeed when we plan, strategise and make the best use of the tools available to us. More importantly, we succeed when we build strong bonds with people, winning not just their minds but also their hearts.
Important to note:
* Due to limited slots, bookings are non-refundable.
* Do note that by attending this workshop, your child will not understand the complete story of the Battle of Red Cliff. What we aim to do instead is to plant the seeds.
* Photos of the classes may be taken and used for publicity purposes.
* Parents are allowed to sit in to observe the workshop if they wish. Do note that you will have to sit on the floor (like the kids do) to maintain a conducive learning environment. Photos are allowed.
- * Curriculum is subject to minor changes.
Qing Ming Festival special: Learn about ancestral tablets (Sat 25 March, 9.30am - 12.30pm)Vendor:Regular price $119 SGDRegular priceUnit price per
Qing Ming Festival special: Learn about ancestral tablets (Sun 26 March, 9.30am - 12.30pm)Vendor:Regular price $119 SGDRegular priceUnit price per
Qing Ming Festival special: Ancient legends of filial piety / 二十四孝 (Sun 2 Apr, 10am - 12pm)Vendor:Regular price $119 SGDRegular priceUnit price per