The legend of Guan Yin (观音）
Learn about 慈 (kindness) through the 2,000-year-old legend of Guan Yin, Goddess of Mercy
- An exercise in forgiveness set to meditative music, helping children intentionally experience the sensation of forgiving - and being forgiven.
- A mock pilgrimage in the classroom.
- Understanding the meaning of the name Guan Yin, which literally translates into Seeing Sound. Just how do you see a sound?
- Retelling of Guan Yin’s origin story, whereby she was a princess kicked out of the palace by her father (the king), but returned in disguise to cure him of an illness by sacrificing her hands, an act which moved the heavens. She was given thousands of hands in return.
- Deconstruct the meaning of mercy (慈悲), whereby 慈(ci2) refers to a sincere desire for others to be happy, and 悲(bei1) refers to a wish for others to be rescued from pain.
- Compare the depictions of Guan Yin found in different countries.
- Compare the different poses of Guan Yin, eg. standing, sitting, holding a child, etc.
- Explain how Guan Yin used to be depicted as a male, and why that changed.
- Origami exercise involving the lotus, the flower associated with Guan Yin, and the 4 virtues it embodies.
- Understanding and role-playing the tradition of burning the first incense at midnight on the first day of the Lunar Near Year.
- Understanding and role-playing the tradition of seeking divination lots (求签).
- Appreciating the tradition of 添香油, involving the refilling of oil lamps in temples.
- Retelling the origin story of the white parrot often seen beside Guan Yin, as told in the ancient text 鹦鸽宝撰 (The Precious Scroll of the Parrot)
Important to note:
* Due to limited slots, bookings are non-refundable.
* This is a drop-off programme. Pls drop off and pick up your child after the workshop.
* Do note that by attending this workshop, your child will not understand the complete legend of Guan Yin. What we aim to do instead is to plant the seeds.
* Photos of the classes may be taken and used for publicity purposes.
* Curriculum is subject to minor changes.