Learn about ancestral heritage (家族血统)
Learn to appreciate our ancestors (祭祀祖先) in a non-religious manner, and develop a deeper sense of gratitude and who we are.
- Charades! How would you act out the concept of "Me"? How would you introduce yourself to a stranger? Or to yourself? Understand why it is important to know who we are.
- Doodling of family tree. Kids will list their family members as far back as possible. But it doesn’t have to look like a tree. How about, say, a travellator or rivers?
- Science experiment to understand why blood is thicker than water / 血浓于水. (Don’t worry, no kids will be harmed in the process :P)
- Use of Google Earth to explain the ancient concepts of clan culture / 宗族文化 and ancestral halls / 祠堂.
- Deconstruction of the character "家", its relationship with pigs, and how the Chinese concept of home differs from Western ones.
- Dramatic reenactments of the roles an ancestral hall plays, such as 家法 and 家训.
- Understand the astronomy behind the major Chinese festivals of 除夕, 清明, 中元节, 重阳 and 冬至.
- Understand the concepts of 初一十五 and the 24 solar terms / 二十四节气. Appreciate how they guided the agrarian lives of our ancestors.
- Appreciation of why ancestral tablets were needed and why they look the way they do. Realise they are nothing to be frightened about.
- Origami activity to help kids think of what they would say to their ancestors, if they had the chance.
- Discussion of how we ourselves would like to be remembered by our descendants. How should we lead our lives to make that happen?
Important to note:
* Due to limited slots, bookings are non-refundable.
* This is a drop-off programme. Pls drop off and pick up your child after the workshop.
* Photos of the classes may be taken and used for publicity purposes.
* Curriculum is subject to minor changes.