The legend of Ne Zha (哪吒)
Learn about 果 (consequences) through the 4,000-year-old legend of Ne Zha (哪吒), the 3rd Lotus Prince.
- Comparing Ne Zha and other child figures in pop culture such as Cupid, contrasting the weapons they use, what they do, and how they fly (Chinese gods don’t have wings; they 飘/drift on clouds and sashes instead).
- Emotive retelling of Ne Zha's origin story in the style of olden-day Chinese storytellers (说书人).
- Free play with Ne Zha's Universe Ring (乾坤圈), Fire-Tipped Spear (火尖枪), Magic Sash (混天凌), and Wind Fire Wheels (风火轮)!
- Role-play Ne Zha’s misadventures, especially his disturbance of the sea (哪吒闹海) using pail of water and sea creature toys, to let the children know that Ne Zha’s actions did cause harm.
- Mock battle with props of Ne Zha's weapons, imparting the concept of power and responsibility.
- Facilitated discussion of questions arising from the story, such as whether Ne Zha was wrong to pick the Dragon Prince’s tendons, whether the Dragon King was right to threaten to flood the town in revenge, etc.
- Understand the metaphoric meaning of Ne Zha's death, which involved him "shedding my bones to return to my father, and shedding my flesh to return to my mother" (剔骨还父，割肉还母). We will explain to the children that such actions do not actually solve problems, that there are always ways to seek help and forgiveness regardless of one's mistakes, and explore alternative scenarios on what Ne Zha could have done instead (eg. ask Goddess of Mercy to resurrect the Dragon Prince?)
- Molding Ne Zha's divine rebirth from a lotus root using kids' clay, and sharing of how, in spite of his mistakes, he turned into a new leaf.
Important to note:
* Due to limited slots, bookings are non-refundable.
* This is a drop-off programme. Pls drop off and pick up your child after the workshop.
* Do note that by attending this workshop, your child will not understand the complete legend of Ne Zha. What we aim to do instead is to plant the seeds.
* Photos of the classes may be taken and used for publicity purposes.
* Curriculum is subject to minor changes.